Based on our research, the best 3 wheel walker is the Carex three wheel rollator.
Keep scrolling to find out more about the other ones we looked at.
No one wants to be dependent on a walker - or at least no one that I know. But if that time has come, how does the saying go, “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em?” The loss of adequate mobility can lead to loss of independence. But for some, there's another adage that rings true. "It ain’t over till it’s over.”
The trick is finding a walker that works best for you - one that will help you retain as much mobility and independence as possible.
How I Discovered 3 Wheel Walkers
I've got to admit; I knew absolutely nothing about walkers until my dad could no longer get around without one. The day had come that the larger than life "He-Man" who boxed in the Navy and featured in the newspaper for heroically lifting a car off a fellow employee on the General Motors assembly line was unable to walk without help. He had fallen several times, and even he knew that one fall too many could be the one to take his independence entirely. It was time to shop around.
I read up on traditional style walkers but couldn't picture my dad using one. He does not make a good patient. He makes a terrible one. I knew I had to come up with something a little edgier, one that would let him get around more quickly than most. Thankfully, I stumbled across the miraculous three wheel walker!
What Are The Different Types?
Walkers are devices that aid a person's mobility by offering support. Some have wheels and referred to as rollators. There are walkers with seats, Euro walkers, narrow walkers, 4 wheel walkers and...3 wheel walkers.
Three wheel walkers are triangular. They have three wheels, one in the front and two in the rear. Generally, the walkers come with hand brakes and sometimes even have extra features, like a basket to carry your belongings in.
I discovered a ton of benefits the three wheel walker has to offer folks, like my dad, who want to retain as much independence as possible but at the same time, need a little help in doing so. To me, they are the sports car of the walker world. Here are some of the perks they bring to the showroom floor:
- Three wheel walkers fit through narrow openings.
- They are usually lighter weight than traditional walkers are.
- Because of their triangular shape, they are easier to maneuver.
- Most three wheel walkers are more manageable to guide than regular walkers.
- They go faster.
- They zip around corners.
- The majority of 3 wheel walkers are compact - a cinch to transport and store.
- Let’s face it...3 wheel walkers are just cooler than traditional ones!
Our Reviews & Thoughts
Three-wheel walkers come in all shapes, sizes, and styles. They can be constructed out of all different materials and even come in different colors. In addition, many accommodate other needs you may have due to your circumstance or disability. With quality, craftsmanship, and special features in mind, the following three wheel walkers are ones that I found to be a step above the rest:
This model has 7” wheels for getting around inside and outside too. It is lightweight and easily folds so you can take it with you wherever you go and store it when you are through. What I like about the Carex is that it gets in and out of tight spaces and can cut around people in the grocery store aisle too. The wheels have locking brakes for safety, the height is fully adjustable, and it comes with a large storage bag with a spot for ID cards and your cell phone too. This is one of the most popular three-wheel rollators on the market and with good reason.
- Contains (1) Carex Trio Rolling Walker, three-wheeled rolling walker for seniors. Lightweight, foldable & compact for easy maneuverability in tight spaces. Collapses quickly for storage & transport. Large storage bag & height adjustable handles. 7" wheels with locking brakes, one of the leading walkers in the category.
- This lightweight, folding, three-wheeled walker is easy to maneuver for increased mobility in narrow spaces. It goes where you go with its quick-collapse system for easy storage & transport. 3 wheeled rollators are much more maneuverable, but are really not intended for people who need full support or side to side balance issues
- The Carex Trio Rolling Walker includes a large storage bag with pockets for ID cards and cell phone. Transport yourself and your accessories with ease as you cruise through your day. It folds neatly and is a great choice for the elderly or handicap.
- With height adjustable handles, the Carex Trio Rolling Walker is easy to customize for an ideal comfort level. The 7" wheels with locking brakes mean you get the support you need whether standing still or rolling smoothly along. Quick tool-free assembly
- The three wheel rollator features one wheel in the front and two wheels in the back. This adult walker is perfect for senior members of the family who still want their independence.
Last update on 2020-10-18.
If you were the one who had to have the red sports car, you’ll love this model by one of the best makers in the bunch, Drive Medical. And yes, you guessed right this is the one my dad just had to have (probably because it was red). There are some great features this three-wheeler has like its one-handed folding ability, lightweight aluminum construction, and lock knob for times you want it not to budge. The casters are 7.5" which are ideal for indoor and outdoor use. This device is just 24" in length and 25" wide, so it easily goes through most openings. The handle height is adjustable, 31"-38". This walker supports 300 pounds which was great for a big man like my dad. You even get a basket, pouch, and tray with this model.
- Comes standard with basket, tray and pouch; Basket conveniently folds for easy storage
- Easy one-handed folding - comes with frame folded and compact; Pull lightweight, aluminum trombone-style frame to lock in place and secure with lock knob.Handle Height: 31 - 38 inches
- 7.5" casters for indoor or outdoor use with a special loop lock made of internal aluminum casting operates easily and ensures safety
- Handles easily adjust in height with self-threading knob. Simply loosen lock knob and pull trombone style frame to lock in place
- Overall Dimensions: 24"(L) x 25"(W) x 31"(H); Handle Height: 31"-38"; Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
Last update on 2020-10-19.
Nova Traveler 3 Wheel All Terrain Walker
The Traveler is built to do precisely that, to travel! It is a superb device for getting around in rough terrain like you might run across outside such as loose gravel, dirt, grass, rocky ground, and practically any other type of territory you might need or want to walk across. The rubber wheels are a whopping 8" which allows to go over rough terrain more easily. The paint and overall construction seems like it’s very high quality. Nova is known for being top notch. You'll get a zippered storage pouch, a basket, and even a handy tray with this model. There is a locking parking brake and adjustable handles too. This walker is 24" wide so that it can squeeze through super small openings. Nova backs this product up with a lifetime limited warranty.
- FEATURES: The Traveler is the ideal walker for maneuvering diverse and small spaces, is super easy to fold in just seconds and stays in a folded standard position making it so easy to roll and park just about anywhere. It comes with a tray, large zippered storage pouch and basket. Comes with NOVA’s standard features and beautiful long lasting paint finish
- WHEELS & BRAKES: Equipped with All-Terrain 8" rubber wheels with a 1 3/4" wide base, NOVA's wheels are durable, great for indoor and outdoor use and make the ride smooth and stable. NOVA's patented feather touch hand brakes are uniquely designed for maximum comfort and control. It is easy to engage the brake with a small grip and minimal hand strength. Parking or locking the brakes takes just a gentle push downward on the lever and a pull upwards to release. Our brakes are backed by the best Brake Warranty with a 5 year warranty on all brake parts
- TRAY & STORAGE: Comes with a tray, basket and zippered pouch which are all removable. The tray is ideal for transporting food and small items such as a cell phone. The large basket and zippered pouch provide lots of storage for personal items. Tray Dimensions: 9.5"W x 8"D; Pouch Dimensions: 11.75"W x 9"D x 11.75"H; Basket Dimensions: 9.5"W x 8"D x 9.5"H
- SPECIFICATIONS: Approximate user height of 5'4" - 6’2”; Weight Capacity is 250 lb.; Walker weight is 16.5 lb.; Handle height adjustable from 33.25"-37"; Width between handles: 12"; Overall dimensions: 23.5"W x 24.5”D x 37”H
- WARRANTY: NOVA walkers are built for life and backed by the best service and warranty. The NOVA Traveler has a Lifetime Limited Warranty on the frame and 5 Warranty on the Brakes. Your complete satisfaction is our only goal
Last update on 2020-10-19.
Healthline 3 Wheel Lightweight Walker
If you need a super lightweight three-wheel walker, this one certainly fits the bill. It weighs in at only 13 pounds. Amazingly, it supports up to 300 pounds though. Being only 24" wide means, it can squeeze through tiny spaces. The handle height is adjustable, and it has brakes that are easy to grip. It also comes complete with a wire basket for storage, a safety tray that conveniently goes on the basket that can be lifted or placed back down, and a tote bag too. This model folds and unfolds easily so you can take it anywhere, even if you are traveling on the bus or in a small car. It is available in a stylish blue.
- PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS FIRST BEFORE ASSEMBLY OR see "Related Video Short" for assembly
- Attention! If the walker is not assembled correctly it will NOT be safe, sturdy. It may wobble. Please watch short related video and follow the instructions.
- COMPACT EASILY FOLDING WALKER WITH WHEELS This 3 Wheel Walker for Seniors Foldable. Healthline 3 wheel walkers for seniors lightweight, easily transported and stored. This Narrow Walker for Small Spaces is highly maneuverable and quickly folds into a compact shape, light tripod walker fits easily into the any car and takes up minimum spaces.
- ADJUSTABLE WALKERS FOR SENIORS. This Three Wheel Rollator is created to be customized for your comfort. Height adjustability allows a wide range of people to use this three wheel walker. This fully adjustable rollator upright walker for adults, elderly, short and tall people.
- FREE ACCESSORIES | 3 Wheel Folding Walker with Basket and Tray comes with a convenient pouch along with a basket and tray for convenience and comfort. To retrieve your things, simply lift up the tray. SPECIFICATIONS: This three wheel walker lightweight and weight is only 13 lbs. The width from back wheel to back wheel is 24", Unit length 24" Handle height adjustable from 32" to 39" Weight limit 300 lbs Color: Blue
Last update on 2020-10-19.
Why not “trick your walker out" as the kids say? Once Dad got over his stubborn pride and got into his "3 wheeler", as well called it, I can honestly say he made the best of it. The family got into the spirit too. We gifted him add-ons for his birthday, Christmas, and sometimes "just because." Here are some great items you can add on to your three wheel walker:
You’ll need a refreshing drink to take along on your walk, so you’ll need a spot to slip it in to keep your hands free. This cup holder fits many sizes of cups, glasses, and bottles and should fit onto most walkers too. It even swivels for convenience.
- Easily attaches to keep a drink nearby when using wheeled walkers, Rollators, transport chairs/wheelchairs
- Swivels to keep contents level
- Fits products with tubing diameter from 5/8" to 1"
- Constructed of durable, lightweight plastic
- Product Diameter: 3"
Last update on 2020-10-18.
You definitely can take it with you when you go! This convenient carry tote pouch has a good bit of room so you can take your belongings with you.
- FITS ANY STYLE ROLLATOR, WALKER OR WHEELCHAIR: Quickly and easily secure the durable rollator bag on any style rollator, walker, wheelchair or transport chair with two adjustable fastener straps. A padded shoulder strap is also included as a convenient alternative for caregivers or loved ones. The large rollator bag measures 12” wide by 12” high by 4.5” deep.
- HANDS FREE STORAGE: Walker tote provides plenty of storage for everyday life or travel. The front of the tote bag has three convenient outer pockets providing easy access to everyday items such as drinks and snacks, glasses, electronic devices and more. Two mesh pockets are located on the back of the rollator bag for additional storage. The large zippered interior bag easily holds a purse, a change of clothes, or necessary medical supplies.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND WATERPROOF: Constructed with a durable, lightweight nylon material, the rollator bag features double-stitched seams to remain sturdy with extensive use. The durable bag is also water resistant to keep contents safe and dry. A large, easy to use o-ring zipper pull allows the contents to be accessed quickly and easily.
- MACHINE WASHABLE: Sturdy nylon material is machine washable for added convenience. For best results, machine wash in cold water and allow the bag to air dry.
- VIVE GUARANTEE: 60 day unconditional guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
Last update on 2020-10-18.
You will need your hands to guide your walker and to help stabilize yourself, so you'll want a place to put shopping bags, your picnic lunch, or whatever else you want to take along with you. There are a multitude of walker baskets to choose from, but this one happens to be my favorite. This particular basket is for the Winnie Deluxe model, but it will fit many other three wheel walkers too. It is lightweight, yet sturdy, and holds quite a bit.
Last update on 2020-10-19.
How Do You Roll?
Not ready to give up your independence yet? Neither was my dad. But when he finally came to grips with the fact that giving up a portion of his independence beat falling and possibly losing it all, he conceded to use a walker. Not just any walker would do, however. He had to level up. Maybe you are in the same situation.
I am not even sixty yet and am having to face the fact that I have a medical condition that causes me to limp and easily lose my footing. It’s called Myelopathy, a complication of Spinal Stenosis. Since I inherited my dad’s willful, independent spirit, I can tell you that when the day comes and I too am forced to depend on a walker, it won’t be any walker. “No sirree bobtails!" as Dad would say. I'll be behind the helm of a three-wheeler because that's how I roll. How about you?